Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Custard Recipe

Ok, I promised to post the custard recipe that I use. I got it off the web.

Homemade Vanilla Custard

Ingredients

3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract

Hardware

Heavy saucepan
whisk
spatula
Storing container (I use the 42 oz plastic container with locking lid)

Directions

1. Mix the first 5 ingredients in the heavy saucepan with the whisk until well incorporated.
2. Place saucepan on burner and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. You will know you are there when the mixture changes from thin and frothy to silky, smooth and thick. Watch out for flying sprays of custard - they are hot.
3. Remove saucepan from heat.
4. Whisk in the butter and vanilla.
5. Pour mixture into your storing container with the spatula.
6. Place plastic wrap right on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Cover with lid.
6. Place in the refrigerator to cool. (I like it warm, too).

I made another batch this afternoon and will use it and our rhubarb to make a rhubarb custard souffle - a Jamie Oliver recipe. I will be sure to take pictures and post later.

Oh, and it rained this morning and last night. Yeay!

No comments:

Post a Comment